THE CHESTER DAIGLE II JAZZ MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2011 in honor of professional jazz musician, composer, and producer Chester J. Daigle II, who gives his heart, his music, and his life to serving his community. The one time $1,000 scholarship provides financial assistance to promising young jazz musicians who are interested in furthering their music education.
THE LAWRENCE C. JONES MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP was established in 2018 in honor of the late Lawrence C. Jones. Mr. Jones was an avid lover of music , especially jazz. The family have supported Jazz In The Arts and its students since its inception. There is always kind words of encouragement to the students, which they hold dear to their hearts. The one time $500 scholarship provides financial assistance to promising young jazz musicians who are interested in furthering their music education. We appreciate all the family does for Jazz In The Arts and dedicate this scholarship in their honor.
• Applicants must be School Seniors in Calcasieu, Beauregard or Jefferson Davis parishes who are pursuing a Music Degree at a US accredited college or university.
• Must have at least a 2.5 GPA
• Application Deadline: April 15th
• Number of Awards: Two recipients each Spring
1 - Chester Daigle II Scholarship ($1,000)
1 - Jones Scholarship ($500)
• Applicants may audition on any brass, woodwind, string or percussion instrument or vocals.
• Contact Information:
The Chester Daigle Jazz Music Scholarship
c/o Patricia Daigle and Jazz In The Arts Foundation
1303 Mayo Street
Lake Charles, LA 70601
TO APPLY: Mail application materials to the above address postmarked no later than April 15th.
Include the following with your application:
- Completed application form
- One page resume listing extracurricular activities, honors, employment, community service and special skills
- A recent photograph suitable for publication (i.e. Senior portrait, or other professional quality photograph)
- A sealed official high school transcript forwarded by school administration under separate cover
- Video audition submitted electronically via link or Youtube (*see audition guidelines below)
All applicants will be notified of award status by May 1. The formal announcement of the scholarship award will be made at the recipient’s school awards ceremony. The recipient may perform as a guest artist on the Jazz In The Arts Summer Youth Jazz Workshop Concert.
• Audition is to be submitted electronically on video; either by attachment to e-mail or via a link to YouTube. The file name must include the applicant’s name.
• Video must be at least 2 minutes and not longer than 5 minutes.
• The applicant will perform one jazz standard with accompaniment (live, recorded, play-along recording, or Smart Music) featuring the melody and an improvised solo.
• The applicant may choose from the following Jazz Standards:
Now’s The Time, Killer Joe, Blue Bossa, C-Jam Blues, Footprints, Song For My Father, Autumn Leaves. Choice of key and tempo is at the performer’s discretion. These selections can be found in the book Essential Elements Jazz Standards, published by Hal Leonard.